May 10, 2012

Dear Angela Cummings, you're a hateful bigot, but I respect your right to preach.

Today I got out of lab a half hour early and decided to walk to the library to study a little bit (didn't happen) and I was greeted by a street preacher by the name of Angela Cummings (she said her name several times, I'm not a stalker I promise.) who was preaching about god's "love" and how he hates homosexuals and how Obama is the anti-christ and how Ron Paul is the only good presidential candidate because Mormons are evil and have stupid beliefs. How ironic right? The crazy street preacher insulting another (admittedly equally as stupid) religion's belief system.

Here's a link to a video of her hatred, which was taken in Long Beach at their pride parade last year.

I have to say, I was surprised by the amount of hatred that was spewing out of her mouth, which was completely unlike any other street preacher I'd seen in person. She insisted that her message was one of love, and yet she turned around and insulted a straight male walking by for acting effeminate and defending his gay father after she asked if he was a homosexual (he had some choice words for her, much clapping by the crowd was had).

She initially had a crowd of about 5 or 6 people just standing around apathetically listening to her spew her hatred, but as more people started heckling her, the crowd got bigger. A half hour after I got there there was a crowd of maybe 50 people standing around challenging her, asking her probing questions about her bigotry. Every question she answered (or completely ignored) was fuel for the crowd's anger, and in turn the crowd's anger was fuel for her spiteful anti-gay rhetoric. Eventually, though, she gave up and left, presumably because the crowd was too much for her, but maybe she was just tired, DM;CL (doesn't matter, crazy left). Regardless, she spent about 4 hours shouting about the evil sodomites.

She'll probably go home and brood about the "sinful idolaters and fornicators" at that yuppie liberal school all night and continue to think that she's fighting the good fight, and that makes me sad because she'll never understand why she is coming from a place of hatred and not love.

I just wish I knew her thought process, did she think that everybody was going to flock to her and repent? Did she think she was doing a good thing by telling the numerous non-believers in the audience that she was right and they were wrong and they were going to hell? How does anybody begin to think that that's a good way to convince people of something especially on a college campus? How many people have come up to her and said "You know, I was really on the fence about the whole god thing, but your diatribe on 'fudge packers' and their sinful ways really just opened my eyes to the truth"?

 My guess? Nobody.

A few liberal Christians came up to her and very politely told her that they didn't think that she was doing what Jesus would have wanted, she responded by misrepresenting the interaction to the unhearing crowd as one of acceptance. "It's so good to see real Christians on a college campus! These Christians get it!", making it seem like these kids (some of whom I knew) were somehow alright with her hate speech.

I don't think I'll ever understand the way these peoples' minds work. But I will forever fight for their right to look like idiots in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Promote Your Blog